We’re on a mission to disrupt the health and wellness industry by creating and maintaining full control over our own e-commerce brands and products.
We make living a healthy lifestyle simple, but how we do it is a far better story. When we say we create brands, we mean we actually dream them up and turn them into ecommerce sensations by managing everything in house.
We do it all from research & development, manufacturing, design, branding, marketing, media, sales, and customer service, for every brand we create. It may seem like a mouthful, but we don’t want anything to slow us down, hinder our agility, or tarnish our customer experience, and the best way to do that is to do it yourself. We’re not an agency, we don’t have clients, we simply create, manage, and own everything we touch.
The world is evolving fast, and we’re in the driver’s seat. We’re one of the fastest growing companies in San Diego, and because of our amazing culture, we’re featured by Inc. Magazine as one of the top 50 Best Workplaces in the country. And this is just the beginning.
“Happiest Company” – TINYpulse
3X “Best Workplaces” – Inc. Magazine
“Top Company Culture” – Entrepreneur Magazine
#1 rated “Top Workplace” – San Diego Union Tribune
4X “Best Places to Work” – San Diego Business Journal
About the Position
As a Back-End Web Developer, you will build and manage the deployment and interchange of online data for several health and wellness brands ensuring high performance and maximum scalability for millions of visitors per month. From the back-end framework of web applications, to the deployment of servers and implementation of security and data protection, we are looking for someone that understands it all!
You have a unique combination of skills, talents, and mindset, including:
- 5+ years of experience as a back-end developer (preferably in advertising)
- Must be self-motivated, self-disciplined, attentive to deadlines, and an effective time manager
- Excellent communication skills – you should be able to clearly articulate your ideas in a way that resonates with your team
- Eagerness to learn and grow personally and professionally
- Excellent storytelling – being able to bring an idea to life on a whiteboard or presentation is quite important
- Entrepreneurial – We’re still only 1% done at Smashtech – this team is inventing every day and it takes tenacity, bravery and the ability to see the big opportunities to thrive here
- Love for Code – you write clean, modular, and scalable code. Demonstrable abstraction is a plus
- 4+ yrs Node.js/Express/MongoDB
- 2+ yrs AWS experience (EC2, Lambda, CloudFront, Route53, etc)
- 3+ yrs writing API’s (routes, functions, tests)
- Demonstrated proficiency in complex problem-solving
- Ability to assess NPM packages
- Planning & articulation solution prior to executing
- Git Flow
- Agile Development
- Postman (or similar tools)
- AWS & Continuous Integration (Dev-Ops experience is helpful)
- Willingness to learn new technologies
- Database Modeling
- Code Documentation
- Server Health/Monitoring
- Linux Servers
Bonuses that Will Help You Stand Out & Get You Hired:
- Speed and Performance Driven – Scalable Architecture (Can you build the fastest website architecture?)
- Front-end experience – While this is a back-end role, having experience with a modern FE framework and willingness to help out puts you at the top of the stack
To love this role, here’s the type of person you are:
Someone who loves creating exciting and innovative web experiences for products — both large and small.
- You are passionate about leaving your mark on the web and you have an extreme attention to detail. Some of our brands that we’ve built receive millions of visitors per month, so being detail-oriented isn’t just a pixel for you, but one of your genuine qualities.
- You understand mobile vs. desktop websites, landing pages, and the best optimization and scaling methods.
- What you don’t know, you’ll jump right in and learn. You can teach yourself whatever you need to know and you’re not afraid to go find solutions to difficult problems that crop up.
- You are easy to work with and never say “That’s not my job.”
What you can expect from us:
Working for a promising company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn them. If you bring your ‘A game’ to the table, here’s what we’ll bring:
- Highly Competitive Salary and Benefits
- Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Work From Home Policy
- Maternity & Paternity Leave
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Flexible Working Hours
- 401k with 4% Employer Match
- All new Mac computers and best softwares
- Free Fully Stocked Office Foods, Drinks, and Snacks to keep you fueled all day long
- Free Monthly Parking
- Free Gym Membership to Fit Athletic Club
- Free Catered Lunches on Fridays
- Team and Company Monthly Social Activities
- Free Monthly product
7 unique things about our office & our team:
- A gorgeous, custom-built 22,000 square foot office with floor to ceiling glass windows, polished concrete, modern yet chic furnishings, and 360 degree views of the ocean, bay, and balboa park from the highest office in the city.
- We’re conveniently located in Downtown San Diego on the 33rd floor with a bright, dynamic and open office – no walls, no cubicles!
- Awesome environment that includes a 3000 square foot game/recreation/ and team lounge with pool, shuffleboard, foosball and ping pong!
- The chance to learn from some of the best people in the business through frequent – if not daily – interaction with our fiercely compassionate leadership team
- Challenging and meaningful problems to solve – you will invariably make a difference and impact
- A vibrant and devoted team of mixed personalities and creative minds, who still find time for fun!
- We invest in you with personal and professional development, to provide you the room and tools you need to create and succeed
- And, most importantly, there are no egos, no jerks, no prima donnas. Just awesome folks who live and breathe collaboration
*Employment is full-time in our San Diego, California Office.
Are we a fit? Click on the link below to apply!
*Please attach a cover letter with your application. We can smell a templated letter a mile away, so take it as an opportunity to stand out and tell us why you would be a great addition to the Smashtech team. We can’t wait to be impressed by you.
Are we a fit? Click on the link below to apply!